Today is a really special day and to celebrate I had the time to do something I haven’t done in a LONG time; bake! I used to make wedding cakes, shower cupcakes, pies, cookies, the works. I even had a room in my house reserved for just this purpose. But work, among other things, ended that years ago.
But this week I am back! I spent time whipping, mixing and, truth be told, licking the beater of my Kitchen-aid Stand Mixer as I made the perfect wedding cupcakes with love for my friends who are tying the knot in Baltimore this weekend. I spent time in the cake supply aisle picking out the perfect frosting tip and considering every sparkle, sprinkle, coloring and topper. It was WONDERFUL.
I also bought disposable pastry bags, because, you know what? Regardless of how unhurried I am, time scrubbing out the small end of a pastry bag is precious time wasted!
I hope you can take some time to relax and bake, and because this is the season of giving, I am about to divulge a cupcake recipe that I have taken years to perfect. Consider it a wedding present.
Wedding Worthy Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes a dozen and a half cupcakes
Preheat oven to 375. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
Ingredients: butter, sugar, eggs, really good vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, flour, milk.
How to Make it Happen:
- Preheat oven.
- Beat 1-1/2 sticks of butter at medium speed until smooth.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of sugar and beat well.
- Then Add 2 eggs, 2 tsps of vanilla, 2 1/2 tsps of baking powder and a 1/2 tsp of salt and mix until combined.
- Add in 2 1/2 cups of flour a 1/2 a cup at a time until incorporated
- Finally add 1-1/4 cups of milk and beat until it smooth and creamy.
- Use an ice cream scoop to get into individual baking cups (about 2/3 full).
These really are dense, moist, and delicious. I will let you know how they go over on the big day.
I also found some other recipes that I am going to add to my list to try… and a one controversy that I didn’t even know existed: American cupcake vs. English Fairy Cake. I am thinking there is room for both on the dessert table of life 😉
- making mrs. patmore proud (girlandgranola.wordpress.com)
- Sunday’s Cake (bleubirdvintage.typepad.com)
- The Cupcake Dilemma: American or British? (champagnebeforebreakfastdarling.wordpress.com)